Case FAQ

Timeline of Events:

  • March 23 – Several texts & phone calls between Molly  &  ex-boyfriend Richie; Molly was sick to her stomach all day. She lived with her Grandmother.
  • 2:05-2:20 am – 4 people take Richie home.
  • 2:30 – 3:00 am – Richie arrives home at his apartment across town.
  • 3:28 am Richie text to Molly “Help me.”
  • 3:47 am Voice call from Molly to Richie
  • 5:45 am Richie’s roommate Wesley Romack arrives home, sees Molly’s purse and shoes; looks in Richie’s room and sees Richie in bed.
  • 5:47 am Romack texts Molly “He’s asleep now, I just got home.”
  • 7:00 am Richie is supposed to be at work.
  • 7:30 am Romack goes to sleep.
  • 8:30-9:00 am Richie wakes Romack, tells him to call 911 because he can’t find his phone.
  • 9:02 am 911 call was placed by Romack.
  • Approximately 9:15 am Paramedics & Carbondale Police Department (CPD) arrive.
  • Approximately 10:00 am Richie’s parents & lawyer arrived.
  • Approximately 12:00 noon Molly’s mother was notified; Molly’s mother notified Molly’s father, Larry Young.
  • 4:00 pm Search warrants were signed.

Here is a list facts of the case. Anything listed here is factual, not speculative.

  • Molly Young was 21 at the time of death. Actual time of death as reported by the Jackson County Coroner is between 4:45 am and 5:45 am.
  • Molly was called to the apartment of ex-boyfriend Richie Minton at 3:28 am, the plea was for help.
  • Molly died of a bullet wound to the top left side of her head.
  • Molly was right handed.
  • Molly had no experience with guns.
  • Richie Minton worked as a Carbondale Dispatcher for the Carbondale Police Department (CPD).
  • 911 call was placed by Wes Romack, Richie’s roommate, at 9:02 am.
  • Richie Minton took over speaking to the 911 dispatcher, co-worker Amber was the dispatcher on duty.
  • 911 call reported an overdose before changing to a report of suicide.
  • Richie Minton was tested for gunpowder residue but he said he had washed his hands.
  • Richie Minton had two fresh six inch scratches on his side under his arm.
  • There were no fingerprints on the gun.
  • There was no gunshot powder residue on Molly’s hands.
  • There was gunshot powder residue on Molly’s sleeve as well as Richie’s pajama shorts.
  • Following about 45 minutes of deliberations Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013, a coroner’s jury ruled the cause of death of  Molly Young undetermined due to a lack of evidence.
  • According to Illinois State Police reports Richie Minton would NOT consent to DNA testing, blood samples, urine samples, or fingernail clippings. Also, he would NOT consent to a search of his apartment, his cell phone, or his vehicle.
  • Molly was left to lay in Richie’s bedroom floor for 7 hours after the 911 call until search warrants were signed.
  • Young family was allowed to ask 3 questions at the coroner’s inquest, below are 4 that were answered:
    -What was the time of death? Answer: 4:45 A.M. -5:45 A.M.
    -Did Richie Minton post “And huge drops of lead poured down upon her head until she was dead” on his social media page just days before Molly was shot? Answer: Yes
    -Did the Carbondale PD allow him to wash his hands and change clothes? Answer: It was indicated in a CPD report by first responding officers that Richie went to his apartment restroom and changed clothing and washed his hands.
    -Was Molly right handed and shot on the left side of the head? Answer: Yes, according to family members she was right handed.
  • On January 31st, 2013, the coroner’s inquest jury ultimately ruled the cause of her death undetermined due to a lack of evidence.
  • Was there any powder residue on Molly’s hands? No
  • Richie’s phone would not communicate with the UFED device used by the ISP or the FBI to extract records that may have been deleted such as texts,data and phone call logs. Molly’s phone had been set to GMT time which is 5 hours different than CST
  • Richie Minton was scheduled to work as a Carbondale police dispatcher at 7:00 A.M. on March 24,2012; he didn’t show up or call in late for work.
  • Molly graduated from Marion High School in 2008.
  • According to a letter dated July 15, 2013, ISP closed the case. Mike Carr won’t file charges at this point in time due to insufficient evidence.

As more details of the case become public, we will post them here.

Comments are closed.